Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rudi

Default can you count data in a cell to give a value?

Anybody with assistance please.

I want to calculate the data in cells to provide a value for a second
calculation.

Example

Column A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2 FRT234GP
Row 3 FYY233GP
Row 4 =Sum(A1:A2)

Thank you,

Rudi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham

Are you trying to count the number of times an entry, such as FRT234GP,
occurs in the list, or actually sum the values within them, as 61+234+233
might give you?

If you want to count the number of times an entry shows up, use the
COUNTIF() function, like:
Row 4 =COUNTIF(A1:A3,"FRT234GP")
will return 1 since it only shows up once in the list.

"Rudi" wrote:

Anybody with assistance please.

I want to calculate the data in cells to provide a value for a second
calculation.

Example

Column A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2 FRT234GP
Row 3 FYY233GP
Row 4 =Sum(A1:A2)

Thank you,

Rudi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rudi

No,I want to count the cell if data is input to the cell. If data is
captured the value of the data need to be =1 for that cell. At the end of
the column the calculation need to provide a value of the amount of data as
per the example for that column.

Thanks

"Rudi" wrote:

Anybody with assistance please.

I want to calculate the data in cells to provide a value for a second
calculation.

Example

Column A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2 FRT234GP
Row 3 FYY233GP
Row 4 =Sum(A1:A2)

Thank you,

Rudi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham

Alright, then look at the COUNTA() function. It counts non-empty cells in a
range.

Col A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2 FRT234GP