Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Graeme

Default data in cell not corresponding with entry

I am simply trying to enter/change data in cells in an excel worksheet. There
are no formulas involved. The data is simply a number representing a grade 1
to 6, so it has no numerical value. I have tried formatting the column to
General and Text but results are the same. Briefly the following happens -
when in the cell I type '1' and asterisk '*' appears in the cell but a '1'
appears in the formula box along the top. If I then select another cell the
'*' remains in the previous cell. If I then select the cell again and type
'1', a '1' appears in both cell and at top, if I then select another cell the
original cell content shows '1'. The same happens for other numbers as
follows: 2=+ and 3=, and 4=- and 5=. and 6=/ and 7=0
That is - plus sign, comma, hyphen, fullstop, slash and zero

I can only get the actual entry in the cell to correspond with key pressed
by clicking the curser in the top bar.

The same appears to be happening with other columns, sometimes with even
more bizaar results - e.g. If I try to type 'PC' into a cell I first get a
letter 'N' instead of 'P', then when I type the 'C' the 'N' changes to an 'I'
- 'PC' still appears in the top bar. If I type another 'PC' into the same
cell the topbar reads 'PCPC' but the cell shows '?CPC'

Any solution would be gratefully received.

I have changed my email address since setting up this account so could you
please reply to whilst I try to change my details?

Thanking you in advance.

Graeme Williams
--
This is all new to me!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gwen H

I would make a copy of the workbook, then in the copy delete the offending
column. Save the "copy" workbook and close it, reopen it and re-insert the
offending column. Then format that column to number and try again.