Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham

Default can you count data in a cell to give a value?

Alright, then look at the COUNTA() function. It counts non-empty cells in a
range.

Col A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2 FRT234GP
Row 3 FYY233GP
Row 4 =COUNTA(A1:A3) will display 3

Col A
Row 1 DRY061GP
Row 2
Row 3 FYY233GP
Row 4 =COUNTA(A1:A3) will display 2

"Rudi" wrote:

No,I want to count the cell if data is input to the cell. If data is
captured the value of the data need to be =1 for that cell. At the end of
the column the calculation need to provide a value of the amount of data as
per the example for that column.

Thanks

"JLatham" wrote:

Are you trying to count the number of times an entry, such as FRT234GP,
occurs in the list, or actually sum the values within them, as 61+234+233
might give you?

If you want to count the number of times an entry shows up, use the
COUNTIF() function, like:
Row 4 =COUNTIF(A1:A3,"FRT234GP")
will return 1 since it only shows up once in the list.

"Rudi" wrote:

Anybody with assistance please.

I want to calculate the data in cells to provide a value for a second
calculation.

Example

Column A
Row 1 DRY061GP