Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ACULAK

Default Copying links

I have 2 excel files.
I would like to link multiple cell in file 1 to file 2

I am trying to get around from going to each cell & going back & forth from
file 1 to file 2 to link the cells.

What I am trying to accomplish is similar to when you want to autocomplete a
range of numbers/words. For example, if you fill in January in 1 cell,
February in the next adjoining cell and and If you highlight both cells &
drag the right corner across it will autocomplete the list to show March,
April and so on.

I am trying to autocomplete the formulas in the same method, I don't know if
that is possible.

I want to put the link in 1 cell & drag across the other cells to fill in
the rest of the links.

What happens is, it just copies over the same link in cell a1:
File 1 cell a1 shows link from File 2 cell a20
File 1 cell b1 shows link from File 2 cell a20
File 1 cell c1 shows link from File 2 cell a20

Not sure if I am explaining this right, hopefully someone will undestand.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Try changing the link formula's cell reference to relative, as Excel makes
it absolute by default when linking across workbooks

In Sheet1's A1 in Book1.xls,

Instead of in say, A1: =[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1

(which is the default link created when we type an equal sign in A1, then
click on Sheet1's A1 in Book2.xls)

just remove the dollar signs manually,
make it in A1: =[Book2]Sheet1!A1

Then we can copy A1 across / fill down
and the link formula's cell refs will change relatively
--
Max
Singapore