Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Brandt

Default Filter function

Hi.
I made a list with four different types to filter on, lets say, A, B, C and D.
In one row, cell, (lets call it A&B row) i want to have A and B, so when i
filter my list after B, it shows the row, A&B. And when i filter after A, it
shows the row, A&B.
But when i filter after C, it do not show A&B.

My problem is, that when i enter A, B in the A&B row, cell, it only makes a
filter-option more in my list.
What should i write in the row, cell A&B, to make that work?

It is properly a simple function, but i can't find it anywhere.....

Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Brandt

I'll try and make an example, so it perhaps will be more easy to understand.
A B (this is a list)
1 product Features in
2 Slide Room cover, portable
3 Sling Room cover, mobile, portable
4 Strap portable
5 Rail mobile

So when i try and sort/filter column B (the list), then i want to be able of
only finding those with "portable". (this should result in "Slide, Sling and
Strap)...

Hope this helps...

Brian

"Brian Brandt" skrev:

Hi.
I made a list with four different types to filter on, lets say, A, B, C and D.
In one row, cell, (lets call it A&B row) i want to have A and B, so when i
filter my list after B, it shows the row, A&B. And when i filter after A, it
shows the row, A&B.
But when i filter after C, it do not show A&B.

My problem is, that when i enter A, B in the A&B row, cell, it only makes a
filter-option more in my list.
What should i write in the row, cell A&B, to make that work?

It is properly a simple function, but i can't find it anywhere.....

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broro183

Hi Brian,

If you are using Data - Filter - Autofilter, then click on the arrow at
the right of your filtering column you'll see some options at the top &
then your list of values.
Click on the option "(Custom...)", you will get a popup dialog box and
in the top left section it should say "equals" & have a dropdown arrow
immediately to the right. Click on the arrow, scroll down, select
"contains", tab into the right field & type "portable", and click ok.

Have a play, as you can see there are a number of ways of filtering
when using the custom option.

hth
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
venram

A B
1 product Features in
2 Slide Room cover, portable
3 Sling Room cover, mobile, portable
4 Strap portable
5 Rail mobile

SELECT A & B
ACTIVATE AUTOFILTER
DATAFILTERAUOTFILTER
PRESS ARROWHEAD ON COLUMN B
DROPDOWN LIST WILL APPEAR
SELECT CUSTOM
SELECT "CONTAINS"
TYPE "PORTABLE" IN OPPOSITE FIELD
PRESS OK
this should solve the problem
thanks

--
venram
venram's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33813

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brian Brandt

Not exactly what i was looking for, but it will do...
(I was hoping, that in the drop down menu, could choose "portable", and then
it would choose every row with portable).. but this can be used..

Thank you very much for the assistance.

"broro183" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broro183

Hi Brian,

The dropdowns show entire cell values, therefore to be able to select
"portable" from the dropdown you would have to have a column where the
cell's value is "portable". You could do possibly do this by using
"text to columns" bu looking at your example values, "portable"
wouldn't always be in the same column. I think a better solution to get
it to work as you want is to use column C as a helper column & use an
equation similar to the following:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("portable",B1,1)),"portable","")

or if you want to provide more options for the filter dropdown of
column C, you could nest consecutive tests (upto 7, I believe) within
the "false" argument of the if statement, for example:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("portable",B1,1)),"portable",IF( ISNUMBER(FIND("mobile",B1,1)),"mobile",""))

Once either of these formulae is copied down & included in the filter
area you should be all go.