Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broro183

Default Filter function

Hi Brian,

The dropdowns show entire cell values, therefore to be able to select
"portable" from the dropdown you would have to have a column where the
cell's value is "portable". You could do possibly do this by using
"text to columns" bu looking at your example values, "portable"
wouldn't always be in the same column. I think a better solution to get
it to work as you want is to use column C as a helper column & use an
equation similar to the following:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("portable",B1,1)),"portable","")

or if you want to provide more options for the filter dropdown of
column C, you could nest consecutive tests (upto 7, I believe) within
the "false" argument of the if statement, for example:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("portable",B1,1)),"portable",IF( ISNUMBER(FIND("mobile",B1,1)),"mobile",""))

Once either of these formulae is copied down & included in the filter
area you should be all go.

hth
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068