Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

Default LEN fuction to leave a single character

What is the LEN fuction to leave a single character from a text string.
I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter. How do i
join LEN fuctions togetehr into a single formula?

LEN fuction to leave a single character

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

"Jonah" wrote in message
What is the LEN fuction to leave a single character from a text string.
I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter. How do i
join LEN fuctions togetehr into a single formula?

LEN fuction to leave a single character

Jonah,

Should be LEFT() or RIGHT() function

Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1)
examle:
"John Smith" will return "Jh"

the rest of your post is rather confusing because the LEN function returns
the length of a text string. LEN("John Smith") will return 10.

"How do i join LEN fuctions togetehr into a single formula?" - I assume you
mean any text function (ie LEFT, RIGHT, MID, SUBSTITUTE, etc.). Use the &
symbol
LEFT("John",1)&Right("Smith",1) will return "Jh"
"John"&"Smith" will return "JohnSmith"

"Jonah" wrote:

What is the LEN fuction to leave a single character from a text string.
I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter. How do i
join LEN fuctions togetehr into a single formula?

LEN fuction to leave a single character

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

Another great solution.

P.S. How do I start to lookup a formula event when I do not have the event name
to look up. If I knew it was RIGHT I would not necessarily need the help of a
newsgroup. I was using LEFT(K2, LEN(K2)-3) to reduce the length of the string by
changing the value 3, to 2 and so on. Not a very neat solution I must add.

==========
Sloth wrote:

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1) Example: "John Smith" will return "Jh"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

Jonah,

You knew "LEN"

Activate help in Excel for LEN

Right below LEN, look at "SEE ALSO" its in blue. Click on it. It gets you
to other usable text and data functions,and s short description of wht they
do. Give it a shot... and good luck

Beege

Sloth wrote:

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this
formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1) Example: "John Smith" will return "Jh"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB

In help, click on the Contents tab, click Creating Formulas And Auditing
Workbooks, Using Functions

you should see a listing of functions broken down by category w/hyperlinks
to each functions description.

Sloth wrote:

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1) Example: "John Smith" will return "Jh"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

I don't know if you are still reading this, but there is a button in the
Standard Toolbar called "Paste Function". Select a blank cell and click it.
This bring up a function wizard with categories on the left and functions on
the right. If you select a function you can ask the paperclip about it by
pressing the question mark in the bottom left of the paste function window.
I don't think any function in the Add-ins toolpak is included, and DATEDIF is
not included. I think most if not all of the other functions are listed.

Anyways, there is a category called text which show all of the text functions.