Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Beege

Default LEN fuction to leave a single character

Jonah,

You knew "LEN"

Activate help in Excel for LEN

Right below LEN, look at "SEE ALSO" its in blue. Click on it. It gets you
to other usable text and data functions,and s short description of wht they
do. Give it a shot... and good luck

Beege

"Jonah" wrote in message
Another great solution.

P.S. How do I start to lookup a formula event when I do not have the
event name
to look up. If I knew it was RIGHT I would not necessarily need the help
of a
newsgroup. I was using LEFT(K2, LEN(K2)-3) to reduce the length of the
string by
changing the value 3, to 2 and so on. Not a very neat solution I must
add.

Sloth wrote:

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this
formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1) Example: "John Smith" will return "Jh"