Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sloth

Default LEN fuction to leave a single character

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1)
examle:
"John Smith" will return "Jh"

the rest of your post is rather confusing because the LEN function returns
the length of a text string. LEN("John Smith") will return 10.

"How do i join LEN fuctions togetehr into a single formula?" - I assume you
mean any text function (ie LEFT, RIGHT, MID, SUBSTITUTE, etc.). Use the &
symbol
LEFT("John",1)&Right("Smith",1) will return "Jh"
"John"&"Smith" will return "JohnSmith"

"Jonah" wrote:

What is the LEN fuction to leave a single character from a text string.
I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter. How do i