Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

Default LEN fuction to leave a single character

Another great solution.

P.S. How do I start to lookup a formula event when I do not have the event name
to look up. If I knew it was RIGHT I would not necessarily need the help of a
newsgroup. I was using LEFT(K2, LEN(K2)-3) to reduce the length of the string by
changing the value 3, to 2 and so on. Not a very neat solution I must add.

Sloth wrote:

"I need the initial letter from a name and the last letter" - use this formula
=LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,1) Example: "John Smith" will return "Jh"