Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

Default multiple worksheet help

sure this has been asked before but wth =)

ok... trying to figure out if i create two work sheets one will have
something similiar to a person's name in one cell and a number of hours
they are working in another cell so say A1= John B1= 5

the other worksheet i want to lookup from the other worksheet if john
is on that worksheet and the number of hours beside his name thanks!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

One way:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A100,A1),SUMIF(Sheet2!A1:A10 0,A1,Sheet2!B1:B100),"")

Another way:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A1:A100,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1 ,Sheet2!A1:B100,2,0))

Or combine elements of both:

=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!A1:A100,A1),VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A 1:B100,2,0),"")

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.22zwuy_1139544902.0626@excelfor um-nospam.com...

sure this has been asked before but wth =)

ok... trying to figure out if i create two work sheets one will have
something similiar to a person's name in one cell and a number of hours
they are working in another cell so say A1= John B1= 5

the other worksheet i want to lookup from the other worksheet if john
is on that worksheet and the number of hours beside his name thanks!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

still can't quite get it to work could you explain how each part of the
formula works...
i only need the second sheet to tell me if a person't name is on the
first sheet and the hours they work and if the name isn't on the first
sheet then can = 0 or blank thanks

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Ok, can you provide a more detailed explanation? Be very specific.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.23198o_1139607610.1318@excelfor um-nospam.com...

still can't quite get it to work could you explain how each part of the
formula works...
i only need the second sheet to tell me if a person't name is on the
first sheet and the hours they work and if the name isn't on the first
sheet then can = 0 or blank thanks

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

sure ill try to explain it better thanks for the help..

ok my excel project is broken down into several sheets
monday tuesday wednesday ect for every day of the week
each day has a person's name in a cell say cell A1=bob
A2=mary ect.

beside them in cell B1 is how many hours they work so we have cell
A1=Bob Cell B1=6.5 for 6 and a half hours he worked

ok... now thats several sheets monday, tues, wednesday ect some
might have the person's name if they work monday some might not
if they are not working...
the final sheet i want to make i have columns for each day monday tues
ect..
and i am putting all employees names in say A1-A30 for howevermany
people are on staff column B will be monday column C Tues ect...

now down column B which is for monday i want it to check the monday
sheet i have made and if the person's name is on monday sheet give me
the amount of hours they work that day which is in a different cell if
possible... thanks

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Ok.

Based on your explanation any of the formulas I suggested will do what you
want.

I can put together a sample file that demonstrates this, or, this would be
even better, if you could post a sample file so I could see EXACTLY how your
file is setup.

It's kind of slow here tonight and I'm looking for a good project to do.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.231mfm_1139624701.699@excelforu m-nospam.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

great how can i post the file? i don't see a excel file format

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

You can zip it and then post a zip file (*.zip)

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.231voy_1139636701.3881@excelfor um-nospam.com...

great how can i post the file? i don't see a excel file format

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

hmm can you im me on aim? (darkbearpooh1) might be quicker that way ..
because my file is kinda complex and complicated so i could explain it
more if not i am looking for a program to zip the file

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

im wimping out because i have to be in to work in a few hours so i
figure i should get some sleep .. lol so if you want you could just
post your example i can figure it out from there thanks soooo much for
the help

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

See if this is what you wanted: (sample file)

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...6084YFW24O6CKI

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.231xbd_1139638802.7315@excelfor um-nospam.com...

im wimping out because i have to be in to work in a few hours so i
figure i should get some sleep .. lol so if you want you could just
post your example i can figure it out from there thanks soooo much for
the help

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

Great! yeah thats perfect!

Thanks, I owe you!

how about i name my first unborn child after you ;)

no really thanks thats exactly what i need!!!!!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

your example is exactly what i want but i am having trouble transfering
it to
my excel sheet. could you give me a breakdown of what each part is
looking for where
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10"),0)),"", VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:B10"),2,0))
The first $A2 is referencing the (Totals sheet) names correct?
Then the B$1 referencing the (total sheet) day of the week?
A2:a10 is referencing the day of the week sheet or what? not sure
about the rest

Thanks

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

what part of the formula do i change to fit my sheet?

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

your example is exactly what i want but i am having
trouble transfering it to my excel sheet.

What does that mean? Getting errors? Incorrect results?

could you give me a breakdown of what each part is
looking for

=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10"),0)),"", VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:B10"),2,0))

ISNA(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10"),0)),"",

$A2 is the name to look for.

INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10")

Is where to look. B$1 is the column header Monday and this also corresponds
to the sheet named Monday.

So, it's looking in Monday!A2:A10 for the name entered in A2. If the name is
not found the formula returns a blank: "". If the name is found then:

VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:B10"),2,0)

This does the same thing. It looks in Monday!A2:A10 for the name in A2 and
returns the corresponding value from Monday!B2:B10.

Using the Indirect function allows us to enter a single formula and then
just copy that formula to fill the "grid". Without Indirect, we'd have to
use a different formula for each day of the week referring to each different
sheet name separately.

If you're still having problems and you'd like me to look at your file just
let me know how to contact you.

Something you have to realize is that I don't know what your file looks
like. You have it right in front of you so when you post you have to
describe in explicit detail what's happening, where stuff is, etc, etc.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.236kfz_1139855401.9789@excelfor um-nospam.com...

what part of the formula do i change to fit my sheet?

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

I think I will be able to figure it out from there... I am at work now
so i will check it out when i get home. Your example is exactly what i
want it to do, I was just having trouble making use of it in my sheets
because I couldn't figure out what needed to be changed in mine as the
cells arn't exactly the same numbers as the example. Thanks soooooo
much for your patients!
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

think i may have uploaded the file not sure...
sorry i just can't figure out how to make it work...
if my upload worked you can see my file the employee work schedule
sheet
i am trying to get the times from the schedules for monday -sunday and
the amount of hours each person works
hth
thanks

|Filename: LINEBARtest18.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4355 |

darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Ok, you have to fix something, first!

I guess you want the totals in columns D,G,J,M,P,S and V on the Block (2)
sheet.

Those cells have been formatted as TEXT. You *MUST* change those to a
GENERAL format. You can't simply just change the format, either. Follow
these instructions EXACTLY:

On the Block sheet:

Select cell X1
Goto EditCopy
Select the range D7:D50
Hold down the CTRL key then select these other ranges:
G7:G50
J7:J50
M7:M50
P7:P50
S7:S50
V7:V50

Do not release the CTRL key until all ranges have been selected!!!

With all those ranges selected:

Goto EditPaste SpecialAddOK

That'll convert those cells to a GENERAL format. It'll mess up your borders,
but you can put those back in.

Now, enter this formula in D7:

=SUMIF(INDIRECT(B$5&"!A28:A46"),$A7,INDIRECT(B$5&" !D28:D46"))

Copy it to each of the other columns: G7,J7,M7,P7,S7 and V7.

Then you can copy each formula down its respective column as needed.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.237kbm_1139901904.1699@excelfor um-nospam.com...

think i may have uploaded the file not sure...
sorry i just can't figure out how to make it work...
if my upload worked you can see my file the employee work schedule
sheet
i am trying to get the times from the schedules for monday -sunday and
the amount of hours each person works
hth
thanks

|Filename: LINEBARtest18.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4355 |

darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

i am recieving a cell reference error after doing that,.. could it be
because the cell it is getting the information from has a formula
attached to it? if so can it be fixed?

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

this seems like it should be soo easy, lol. yet its taken me how long
and i still don't have it right.... yet. I admire you excel experts if
i didn't really need this i would have given up a long time ago.

Were you able to get it to work? if you can get it to give the hours
will it also return the time too? the time has no formula attached to
it, although time format is applied on it. If you could get it to work
could you post it I tried to read up on whats causeing the reference
error and I just can't figure it out.

As always thanks!!!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Just let me know EXACTLY what you want and where you want it!

You gotta be specific!

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.2398yz_1139980504.2964@excelfor um-nospam.com...

this seems like it should be soo easy, lol. yet its taken me how long
and i still don't have it right.... yet. I admire you excel experts if
i didn't really need this i would have given up a long time ago.

Were you able to get it to work? if you can get it to give the hours
will it also return the time too? the time has no formula attached to
it, although time format is applied on it. If you could get it to work
could you post it I tried to read up on whats causeing the reference
error and I just can't figure it out.

As always thanks!!!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

Thanks Bro! If you ever run for president you have my vote!

Ok, here is what I would like I am trying to simply transfer the Time
in and Time out and hourly amount for each employee to the block2 sheet
so it should be like this, From the Monday page I would like to transfer
the numbers for "carmen"
the numbers I want to transfer are for "time in" is in cell B28,
Carmen's "time out" is in cell C28 and her amount of hours she will be
working is in cell D28.
Ok now I want to try to match that to her name on the block2 sheet so
on block 2 sheet so that information will be applied to cell's B7,C7,D7
under monday.

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

just posting update file i am including the formula in cell d7 of the
block sheet so you can see the error if anyone can help me i will
greatly appreciate it.

|Filename: LINEBARtest18.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4368 |

darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Here's your file:

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...32D3MEUOFYWI3Y

This is the original one you posted.

I fixed a bunch of stuff!

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.23b66m_1140070202.1348@excelfor um-nospam.com...

just posting update file i am including the formula in cell d7 of the
block sheet so you can see the error if anyone can help me i will
greatly appreciate it.

|Filename: LINEBARtest18.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4368 |

darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!
You DA MAN!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

doesn't matter so much, but just curious what i was doing wrong, as i
feel stupid you explained exactly how to do it and i couldn't get it to
work? thanks again!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Not really sure!

I saw your other post from earlier today in which Domenic (he knows his
stuff!) noted an extra space in the formula.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.23cwx0_1140151505.2167@excelfor um-nospam.com...

doesn't matter so much, but just curious what i was doing wrong, as i
feel stupid you explained exactly how to do it and i couldn't get it to
work? thanks again!

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510905

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
darkbearpooh1

Oh well, =) I am truely greatful! I wish I could return the favor!