Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default multiple worksheet help

your example is exactly what i want but i am having
trouble transfering it to my excel sheet.

What does that mean? Getting errors? Incorrect results?

could you give me a breakdown of what each part is
looking for

=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10"),0)),"", VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:B10"),2,0))

ISNA(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10"),0)),"",

$A2 is the name to look for.

INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:a10")

Is where to look. B$1 is the column header Monday and this also corresponds
to the sheet named Monday.

So, it's looking in Monday!A2:A10 for the name entered in A2. If the name is
not found the formula returns a blank: "". If the name is found then:

VLOOKUP($A2,INDIRECT(B$1&"!A2:B10"),2,0)

This does the same thing. It looks in Monday!A2:A10 for the name in A2 and
returns the corresponding value from Monday!B2:B10.

Using the Indirect function allows us to enter a single formula and then
just copy that formula to fill the "grid". Without Indirect, we'd have to
use a different formula for each day of the week referring to each different
sheet name separately.

If you're still having problems and you'd like me to look at your file just
let me know how to contact you.

Something you have to realize is that I don't know what your file looks
like. You have it right in front of you so when you post you have to
describe in explicit detail what's happening, where stuff is, etc, etc.

Biff

"darkbearpooh1"
wrote in message
news:darkbearpooh1.236kfz_1139855401.9789@excelfor um-nospam.com...

what part of the formula do i change to fit my sheet?

--
darkbearpooh1
darkbearpooh1's Profile: