Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
H0MELY

Default Speedy way to create IF Function

Greetings, I am hoping someone knows a trick for completing a LONG if
statement. Here is my statement getting info from 2 fields...

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))

I actually need this function to grab figures from E9/F9 through E250/F250,
maybe even more.

As you can guess I don't want to manually type that out. Any suggestions on
a process that might speed up the process?

The purpose of this statement is to get a total dollar amount spent for a
catagory.

The Bxx field is a catagory, the Direct!Exx field is a compared Catagory,
and the Direct!Fxx field is a dollar amount.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

-John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Look at the SUMIF() function.
See HELP for details

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"H0MELY" wrote in message
Greetings, I am hoping someone knows a trick for completing a LONG if
statement. Here is my statement getting info from 2 fields...

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))

I actually need this function to grab figures from E9/F9 through
E250/F250,
maybe even more.

As you can guess I don't want to manually type that out. Any suggestions
on
a process that might speed up the process?

The purpose of this statement is to get a total dollar amount spent for a
catagory.

The Bxx field is a catagory, the Direct!Exx field is a compared Catagory,
and the Direct!Fxx field is a dollar amount.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

-John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

Well, you certainly don't need to type it out each time - just copy it
down the column and the cell references will automatically adjust to
become:

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))
=(IF(B42=Direct!E9,Direct!F9,0)+(IF(B42=Direct!E10 ,Direct!F10,0)))
=(IF(B43=Direct!E10,Direct!F10,0)+(IF(B43=Direct!E 11,Direct!F11,0)))
etc

Is that what you want to happen, or do you want to compare with B41
each time? If so, make it B$41 before copying down.

To copy the formula down, click on the cell containing it, click
<copy, then click on the cell below it, hold the <shift key down
while pressing <PageDown a few times until you get to row 250, then
release <shift and press <enter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
H0MELY

Niek...you are BRILLIANT. Works fabulously. You just saved me LOTS and LOTS
and LOTS of time. If you were here I would buy you a Ginger Ale ;) Thanks a
ton.

-John

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Look at the SUMIF() function.