-   -   Speedy way to create IF Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/70742-speedy-way-create-if-function.html)

H0MELY

Speedy way to create IF Function

Greetings, I am hoping someone knows a trick for completing a LONG if
statement. Here is my statement getting info from 2 fields...

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))

I actually need this function to grab figures from E9/F9 through E250/F250,
maybe even more.

As you can guess I don't want to manually type that out. Any suggestions on
a process that might speed up the process?

The purpose of this statement is to get a total dollar amount spent for a
catagory.

The Bxx field is a catagory, the Direct!Exx field is a compared Catagory,
and the Direct!Fxx field is a dollar amount.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

-John

Niek Otten

Speedy way to create IF Function

Look at the SUMIF() function.
See HELP for details

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"H0MELY" wrote in message
Greetings, I am hoping someone knows a trick for completing a LONG if
statement. Here is my statement getting info from 2 fields...

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))

I actually need this function to grab figures from E9/F9 through
E250/F250,
maybe even more.

As you can guess I don't want to manually type that out. Any suggestions
on
a process that might speed up the process?

The purpose of this statement is to get a total dollar amount spent for a
catagory.

The Bxx field is a catagory, the Direct!Exx field is a compared Catagory,
and the Direct!Fxx field is a dollar amount.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

-John

Pete

Speedy way to create IF Function

Well, you certainly don't need to type it out each time - just copy it
down the column and the cell references will automatically adjust to
become:

=(IF(B41=Direct!E8,Direct!F8,0)+(IF(B41=Direct!E9, Direct!F9,0)))
=(IF(B42=Direct!E9,Direct!F9,0)+(IF(B42=Direct!E10 ,Direct!F10,0)))
=(IF(B43=Direct!E10,Direct!F10,0)+(IF(B43=Direct!E 11,Direct!F11,0)))
etc

Is that what you want to happen, or do you want to compare with B41
each time? If so, make it B$41 before copying down.

To copy the formula down, click on the cell containing it, click
<copy, then click on the cell below it, hold the <shift key down
while pressing <PageDown a few times until you get to row 250, then
release <shift and press <enter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

H0MELY

Speedy way to create IF Function

Niek...you are BRILLIANT. Works fabulously. You just saved me LOTS and LOTS
and LOTS of time. If you were here I would buy you a Ginger Ale ;) Thanks a
ton.

-John

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Look at the SUMIF() function.