Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Zipadeedoodaa

Default Sortin method advice please

I am new to excel and would like some advice please.

I am treasurer for a forthcoming concert. All the seats are numbered in the
concert hall. As the bookings come in the customer is allocated a seat and
his name is recorded in column "A" of excel with the seat number in say
column "D".

I wish to sort the names into alphabetical order and at the same time move
the seat number allocated to them in "D" as well.

Could I ask some kind soul to advise me please. If I'm in the wrong group I
apologise and hope someone will point me in the right direction

Neville

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete

You need to highlight ALL the data before you sort. Assume your data
occupies A1 to F100, then that is the range you should highlight, then
click Data | Sort and you will be presented with a dialogue box - you
can specify which field to sort on (in your case column A) and whether
you want the sort to be in ascending or descending order. Click OK once
you have set everything, and your data will be sorted correctly.

Avoid using the sort icons on the toolbar.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Zipadeedoodaa