Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nwg

Default years change to current year

When copying data with a column of dates to another worksheet the year will
change to the current year instead of the year the (row) data represents.
The 11/04 or Nov-04 (or any previous year) becomes 11/05 or Nov-05. Also
this nor the numeric dates format seems to work between Quatro and Excel. I
need to keep the month and year that was originally input in order to sort
data by month and year and to combine monthly data from previous years work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

Sorry, I cannot duplicate your results. Can you post your original
spreadsheet using excelforum.com?

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

First make sure that the dates that you have are what you think they are

A1: 11/04 or Nov-04
B1: =A1 format as ddd mm dd, yyyy

---
HTH,

"nwg" wrote in message ...
When copying data with a column of dates to another worksheet the year will
change to the current year instead of the year the (row) data represents.
The 11/04 or Nov-04 (or any previous year) becomes 11/05 or Nov-05. Also
this nor the numeric dates format seems to work between Quatro and Excel. I
need to keep the month and year that was originally input in order to sort
data by month and year and to combine monthly data from previous years work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nwg

If I input 11/04 as a date and change the date format to Nov-04 it will
become Nov-06. It does not recognize previous years so I probably need to
somehow stop the recalculation of the date. Or I need to input my date
(month/year) in a format that can stay the same when it is copied to another
worksheet. I would like to keep the date shown as either "November - 2005"
or "Nov - 2005" or "Nov-05" depending upon where it is in the worksheet.

I have experienced this problem in Works, Quatro and Excel. I basically
solved the problem in earlier years by switching to a text format in Works
and combining into a database and back to a worksheet. However, I still
experienced sort problems with the date as a text and I have be extremely
careful.

"rsenn" wrote:

Sorry, I cannot duplicate your results. Can you post your original
spreadsheet using excelforum.com?

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497196

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nwg

I have to combine worksheets in Works, Quatro and Excel which creates
additional problems. I need to keep the date like this "November 2005" in
one cell but can have other options for the column that will reference and
copy this cell's date.

This what I have setup. I input the date in Column B in the following format
but I only need a single cell "A1" to repeat that date in the format
"November 2004"

A1: =B1 "will read" November 2004

B1: 11/1/2004
B2: 11/1/2004
B3: 11/1/2004
B4: etc., etc.
Column B is the corresponding date for the month I am working. The rows
each contain data that I need sorted by Column B at year end. At year end I
have 12 months that have data for each corresponding payee. I can sort the
data fine after converting formulas to values (This may be the problem). The
problem begins when I try to copy and paste from one worksheet to another to
combine 10/04, 11/04 data with 1/05, 2/05, 3/05 data. As of today it will
all convert to "month/2006"

The date formats I am using will not paste without updating the month to the
current year. So obviously I am formating wrong for what I need.

0

"nwg" wrote in message ...
When copying data with a column of dates to another worksheet the year will
change to the current year instead of the year the (row) data represents.
The 11/04 or Nov-04 (or any previous year) becomes 11/05 or Nov-05. Also
this nor the numeric dates format seems to work between Quatro and Excel. I
need to keep the month and year that was originally input in order to sort
data by month and year and to combine monthly data from previous years work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

I still expect a problem with the base date and representation, but try this -- hopefully
the program will provide more information upon installation.

Download details: Quattro Pro 7.0 Converter for Excel 2000 Users
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=EN

Spreadsheet Year 2000 issues
http://www.sysmod.com/y2ksprds.htm

---