Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nwg

Default years change to current year

I have to combine worksheets in Works, Quatro and Excel which creates
additional problems. I need to keep the date like this "November 2005" in
one cell but can have other options for the column that will reference and
copy this cell's date.

This what I have setup. I input the date in Column B in the following format
but I only need a single cell "A1" to repeat that date in the format
"November 2004"

A1: =B1 "will read" November 2004

B1: 11/1/2004
B2: 11/1/2004
B3: 11/1/2004
B4: etc., etc.
Column B is the corresponding date for the month I am working. The rows
each contain data that I need sorted by Column B at year end. At year end I
have 12 months that have data for each corresponding payee. I can sort the
data fine after converting formulas to values (This may be the problem). The
problem begins when I try to copy and paste from one worksheet to another to
combine 10/04, 11/04 data with 1/05, 2/05, 3/05 data. As of today it will
all convert to "month/2006"

The date formats I am using will not paste without updating the month to the
current year. So obviously I am formating wrong for what I need.

0

"David McRitchie" wrote:

First make sure that the dates that you have are what you think they are

A1: 11/04 or Nov-04
B1: =A1 format as ddd mm dd, yyyy

---
HTH,

"nwg" wrote in message ...
When copying data with a column of dates to another worksheet the year will
change to the current year instead of the year the (row) data represents.
The 11/04 or Nov-04 (or any previous year) becomes 11/05 or Nov-05. Also
this nor the numeric dates format seems to work between Quatro and Excel. I
need to keep the month and year that was originally input in order to sort
data by month and year and to combine monthly data from previous years work.