Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Diane_therock

Default from disc to cd why does it always become read only

why do my files become read only when i copy from a disc to a cd? How do i
remove this? I've tried going into properties and deselect the read only
option then it tells me i don't have access. These have always been my own
personal files.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
goober

This is not actually an Excel issue. But here's a brief explination
anyway. If you are writing the files to a cd-r then they are read only
by default and there is no way to change that. If you are writing them
to a cd-rw you have to have the proper format on the disk or your
system will treat it as a cd-r.

--
goober
goober's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19838

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jezebel

All files on a CD are read-only. To make them writable, copy back to your
hard disk, right-click, select Properties, and clear the Read-only checkbox.

"Diane_therock" wrote in message
why do my files become read only when i copy from a disc to a cd? How do
remove this? I've tried going into properties and deselect the read only
option then it tells me i don't have access. These have always been my
own
personal files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

"goober" wrote...
This is not actually an Excel issue. But here's a brief explination
anyway. If you are writing the files to a cd-r then they are read only
by default and there is no way to change that. If you are writing them
to a cd-rw you have to have the proper format on the disk or your
system will treat it as a cd-r.

Note that CD-RWs that function like floppies are a PITA to use on different
PCs.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Diane_therock

I tried what you told me to do and it still becomes read only. I need this
cd for work on monday! I checked the properties before i copied and they are
not read only, the are checked as archives. Am i screwed for monday?

"Jezebel" wrote:

All files on a CD are read-only. To make them writable, copy back to your
hard disk, right-click, select Properties, and clear the Read-only checkbox.

"Diane_therock" wrote in message
why do my files become read only when i copy from a disc to a cd? How do
remove this? I've tried going into properties and deselect the read only
option then it tells me i don't have access. These have always been my
own
personal files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jezebel

Files *on the CD* are always read-only. You can copy the file from the CD to
the hard disk and make the file *on the hard disk* read-write. Then edit the
file *on the hard disk*. You can (of course) write that file to the CD -- if
there is room -- but you'll need to give it a new name. You can't overwrite
the original file on the CD.

"Jezebel" wrote:

All files on a CD are read-only. To make them writable, copy back to
your
hard disk, right-click, select Properties, and clear the Read-only
checkbox.

"Diane_therock" wrote in
message
why do my files become read only when i copy from a disc to a cd?
How do
remove this? I've tried going into properties and deselect the read
only
option then it tells me i don't have access. These have always been
my
own
personal files.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since you cannot write to the CD, Excel treats it as read only.
Save file to hard drive, then work with it in Excel
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme