Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
paulc59

Default how to create the formula "cumsum" in excel

I don't know if this is the right group ... or if i should have put this in
the programming group ... but here is my question / problem ...

I have been using the TI 89 and there is a function called cumsum - it is
for cummalative sum of a colum to another colum. this is a valuable function
for me ... and my dept is moving to "bigger toys" ... one of them is Excel
.... i would like to know how to create this function in Excel. Example ...
in colum A, i have twenty numbers ... in colum B, it would give me the
accumative total of each line from colum A. Is there a download that would
place this funtion or a program editor that i have to use to place it in the
Excel program ... if the latter is the case ... how would i write the
function / command and install it for permanent use?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Wright

If you mean simply that

B1 would contain A1
B2 would contain the sum ofA1:A2
B3 would contain the sum ofA1:A3
B4 would contain the sum ofA1:A4
B5 would contain the sum ofA1:A5
etc

then in B1 put =SUM($A$1:A1) and copy down.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"paulc59" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

P.e.
A1="Value"
B1="CumSum"
B2=IF(A2="","",SUM(A$1:A1))
, and copy B2 down for as much rows as you need.

Arvi Laanemets

"paulc59" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

paul

If you "must" have accumulator cells, check this thread out before
proceeding.

http://snipurl.com/8e64

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:03 -0800, "paulc59"
wrote:

I don't know if this is the right group ... or if i should have put this in
the programming group ... but here is my question / problem ...

I have been using the TI 89 and there is a function called cumsum - it is
for cummalative sum of a colum to another colum. this is a valuable function
for me ... and my dept is moving to "bigger toys" ... one of them is Excel
... i would like to know how to create this function in Excel. Example ...
in colum A, i have twenty numbers ... in colum B, it would give me the
accumative total of each line from colum A. Is there a download that would
place this funtion or a program editor that i have to use to place it in the
Excel program ... if the latter is the case ... how would i write the
function / command and install it for permanent use?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB

You may want to check this link posted by Dave Peterson a little while ago
regarding cumulative totals. =SUM($A$1:A1) may not be your best choice if
you have several thousand cells due to calculation time.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_u...2@TK2MSFTNGP10