Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chazmac

Default Lookup same word "value" across multiple cells

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to lookup every instance of say
"blue sheets" in an excel file, move left 2 columns, pick up the
numerical value that resides in that column for every instance of "blue
sheets" and give a sum total in a cell at the bottom of the sheet? I'm
an excel formula "newbie" so please be kind in any explanation. :-)

--
chazmac
chazmac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28972

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave R.

You can do that with sumproduct, but not all instances in an excel file,
this way is for one set of columns. If you want to do it on many columns
within a sheet let us know. There's plenty of info on sumproduct online for
further education, but what would work is something like:

=SUMPRODUCT((F6:F8="blue sheets")*(D6:D8))

"chazmac" wrote in
message ...

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to lookup every instance of say
"blue sheets" in an excel file, move left 2 columns, pick up the
numerical value that resides in that column for every instance of "blue
sheets" and give a sum total in a cell at the bottom of the sheet? I'm
an excel formula "newbie" so please be kind in any explanation. :-)

--
chazmac
chazmac's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487042

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

chas

=SUMIF(E1:E18,"blue sheets",C1:C18)

entered in C20 or E20 or wherever you desire.

Column E contains cells that have the string "blue sheets"

Column C has numerics.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:06:16 -0600, chazmac
wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to lookup every instance of say
"blue sheets" in an excel file, move left 2 columns, pick up the
numerical value that resides in that column for every instance of "blue
sheets" and give a sum total in a cell at the bottom of the sheet? I'm
an excel formula "newbie" so please be kind in any explanation. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chazmac

thanx so much; worked just great. i'm sure i'll have many more
questions to come.

charles