Richie Rich

Default Conditional Formatting

Hi

I use Conditional Formatting quite frequently but I find it so
restricted when you can only set it to 3 searches, say for example,
find numbers between 1-10 in 1 colour, 11-20 in another & 21-30 in
another. How can I extend it to create more colours searches say,
numbers between 31-40 and then 41-50 in different colours? Can this be
done?

Thanks in advance

Richie Rich (new user)

--
Richie Rich
Richie Rich's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15785

Jim

VBA can help , not possible with excel built in features!

--
Hope it Helps!
Jim

"Richie Rich" wrote in message

Hi

I use Conditional Formatting quite frequently but I find it so
restricted when you can only set it to 3 searches, say for example,
find numbers between 1-10 in 1 colour, 11-20 in another & 21-30 in
another. How can I extend it to create more colours searches say,
numbers between 31-40 and then 41-50 in different colours? Can this be
done?

Thanks in advance

Richie Rich (new user)

--
Richie Rich
Richie Rich's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=272964

Myrna Larson

Only with a macro. To make it "dynamic", this would have to be a an event
macro, say Worksheet_Change.

Have you considered just alternating two colors instead of 5 different ones?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:57:20 -0500, Richie Rich
wrote:

Hi

I use Conditional Formatting quite frequently but I find it so
restricted when you can only set it to 3 searches, say for example,
find numbers between 1-10 in 1 colour, 11-20 in another & 21-30 in
another. How can I extend it to create more colours searches say,
numbers between 31-40 and then 41-50 in different colours? Can this be
done?

Thanks in advance

Richie Rich (new user)

David McRitchie

As the others indicated you would need a macro, specifically
an event macro if you want it automatic. It makes a
difference if you use a formula or if you enter a value, and
that is why Conditional Formatting is much better if you can
limit yourself to three colors + default.
For a Change Event macro example see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#case
---
HTH,