Mr_Sparkly

Default How do I filter names using only the first letter?

I am trying to filter a list of names using only the first letter. How do I
go about setting this up?
Alan

Try using a helper column, If your data were in column A, in column B enter
=LEFT(A1,1)
and drag down to the end of your data list in column A, then sort by column
Alan.
"Mr_Sparkly" wrote in message
I am trying to filter a list of names using only the first letter. How do I
go about setting this up?

Mangus Pyke

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:38:10 -0700, "Mr_Sparkly"
wrote:

I am trying to filter a list of names using only the first letter. How do I
go about setting this up?

Turn on your filter and set it to equal a* (if the letter you want to
filter is "a").

You can also, depending on version of Excel, select "Begins with"
instead of "Equals" in the filter criteria and use the first letter.

The asterisk is a wildcard.
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Mangus Pyke

"Mr_Sparkly" wrote in message
I am trying to filter a list of names using only the first letter. How do I
go about setting this up?

Did he mean sort? He said filter..

(Actually a serious question..)

MP
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Mangus Pyke

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:27:09 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:
He did indeed, error on my part. Doesn't really make any difference though,
Filter by column B, not sort by column B
Regards,
Alan.

Cool.. he can also use wildcards in his filter or "Begins with" and
skip the whole helper column then.

Thanks,
MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Alan

Could do yes, and your advice is valid.
What I think is useful about using a helper column is that once its there,
it will show all the first letters of the column it refers to and therefore
be available for multiple filtering operations without the need to keep
selecting 'Custom' in the filter and entering filter criteria,
wrote:
He did indeed, error on my part. Doesn't really make any difference
though,
Filter by column B, not sort by column B
Regards,
Alan.

Cool.. he can also use wildcards in his filter or "Begins with" and
skip the whole helper column then.

Thanks,
MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Mangus Pyke

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:24:04 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:
Could do yes, and your advice is valid.
What I think is useful about using a helper column is that once its there,
it will show all the first letters of the column it refers to and therefore
be available for multiple filtering operations without the need to keep
selecting 'Custom' in the filter and entering filter criteria,

Certainly wouldn't argue with that.. I tend to work on the assumption
that adding columns when not necessary is a nice thing to avoid. I'm
probably a little closed-minded about this as a result of the fact
that I usually work with data extracts, and so I'm dealing with a
large number of columns.

Have a great weekend-

Mangus-