Alan

Could do yes, and your advice is valid.
What I think is useful about using a helper column is that once its there,
it will show all the first letters of the column it refers to and therefore
be available for multiple filtering operations without the need to keep
selecting 'Custom' in the filter and entering filter criteria,
Regards,
Alan.
"Mangus Pyke" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:27:09 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:
He did indeed, error on my part. Doesn't really make any difference
though,
Filter by column B, not sort by column B
Regards,
Alan.

Cool.. he can also use wildcards in his filter or "Begins with" and
skip the whole helper column then.

Thanks,
MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner