Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can stop a 9 digit number from formatting scientific

I am completing a pivot table/csv file for Government Legislation
requirements and my user id number for submitting the information keeps
reverting to a scientific number which is unacceptable to the government site.
I have tried and better tried formatting the cell, gone into tools/edit etc
but to no avail I am running out of time for submission - help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have you tried widening the column?

But I don't know what a pivot table/csv file means. Does this mean you're
having trouble in the CSV file?

If you're checking the CSV file by reopening it in excel, try checking the
layout using a text editor -- like NotePad.

On 05/17/2010 05:00, Excell Rooky wrote:
I am completing a pivot table/csv file for Government Legislation
requirements and my user id number for submitting the information keeps
reverting to a scientific number which is unacceptable to the government site.
I have tried and better tried formatting the cell, gone into tools/edit etc
but to no avail I am running out of time for submission - help!

Junior Member

I have had this issue with keeping fake credit card numbers in a spreadsheet for systems testing purposes. To stop the number from being autoformatted add a ' hanging comma symbol to the beginning of the number.

Quote:
I am completing a pivot table/csv file for Government Legislation
requirements and my user id number for submitting the information keeps
reverting to a scientific number which is unacceptable to the government site.
I have tried and better tried formatting the cell, gone into tools/edit etc
but to no avail I am running out of time for submission - help!

Last edited by yojimbo : May 17th 10 at 05:52 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 5/17/2010 3:00 AM, Excell Rooky wrote:
I am completing a pivot table/csv file for Government Legislation
requirements and my user id number for submitting the information keeps
reverting to a scientific number which is unacceptable to the government site.
I have tried and better tried formatting the cell, gone into tools/edit etc
but to no avail I am running out of time for submission - help!

If the "number" is a user id, why not make it text instead? Precede it
with an apostrophe as suggested.

Bill