Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Abi Abi is offline

Default Scientific Formatting takes over - how to stop...

Using Excel 2002

I'm assigning session numbers to some classes in a general spreadsheet:

1A07
1B07
1C07
1D07

When type in 1E07 it automatically transforms it into:
1.00E+07

And I noticed that any time I use "E" it does this. I've tried to put
spaces in front but that doesn't make a difference.

Since I'm not a science whiz, can someone tell me what's going on and if I
can fix it?

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel thinks you're trying to write 1*10^7; i.e., 10 million, in scientific
notation.

Best way to avoid this is to format your cells as Text or General, which
forces Excel to ignore exponentiation.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Abi" wrote:

Using Excel 2002

I'm assigning session numbers to some classes in a general spreadsheet:

1A07
1B07
1C07
1D07

When type in 1E07 it automatically transforms it into:
1.00E+07

And I noticed that any time I use "E" it does this. I've tried to put
spaces in front but that doesn't make a difference.

Since I'm not a science whiz, can someone tell me what's going on and if I
can fix it?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Abi Abi is offline

I've tried changing the formatting. when I go, it appears as:
10000000

And if I try to re-type the 1E07, it goes right back to scientific.

"Abi" wrote:

Using Excel 2002

I'm assigning session numbers to some classes in a general spreadsheet:

1A07
1B07
1C07
1D07

When type in 1E07 it automatically transforms it into:
1.00E+07

And I noticed that any time I use "E" it does this. I've tried to put
spaces in front but that doesn't make a difference.

Since I'm not a science whiz, can someone tell me what's going on and if I
can fix it?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you change the formatting to Text or General?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Abi" wrote:

Using Excel 2002

I'm assigning session numbers to some classes in a general spreadsheet:

1A07
1B07
1C07
1D07

When type in 1E07 it automatically transforms it into:
1.00E+07

And I noticed that any time I use "E" it does this. I've tried to put
spaces in front but that doesn't make a difference.

Since I'm not a science whiz, can someone tell me what's going on and if I
can fix it?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Seems to me the answer to this is to put an apostrophe to the left, as was
suggested earlier.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.