Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I change the format to allow a zero as a first digit?

When I input an ID number, they all start with a zero. Excell automatically
removes it. How do I turn off this function?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way is to enter the number as a TEXT entry. To do that precede the entry
with an apostrophe like this: '012345. The apostrophe will not be visible in
the cell.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"MongoTom" wrote in message
When I input an ID number, they all start with a zero. Excell
automatically
removes it. How do I turn off this function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Either precede your entry with an apostrophe, or pre-format the col as TEXT
--
Max
Singapore
"MongoTom" wrote:
When I input an ID number, they all start with a zero. Excell automatically
removes it. How do I turn off this function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This can be handled in several ways.

If the format is a set number of digits you could custom format to the exact
number.
If the ID code is treated as text then format as text.
Search in Excel for full info
Leading zeroes
Select
How to handle leading zeros and precision in number codes
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"MongoTom" wrote:

When I input an ID number, they all start with a zero. Excell automatically
removes it. How do I turn off this function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I do this regulalry as I have position numbers which are 5 digits. Format the
cell(s) with Format/Cells then category="Custom" and type=000000. This way
if you enter 16 it will display as 000016. My only caution is that is you
search for 000016 you will not find this cell, you would need to search for
16.

.