Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating greatest number in a range

This is a little tricky to explain, but hopefully will make sense.

A series of data is produced that monitors concurrent users on a
system. This is returned every five minutes of every day.
This is on a work book which has a month for each tab.

Data typically comes in the following, simple form:

Wed Nov 26 10:50:01 GMT 2008 0
Wed Nov 26 10:55:00 GMT 2008 0
Wed Nov 26 11:00:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:05:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:10:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:15:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:20:00 GMT 2008 1

Essentially, I need a way of differentiating between individual dates
and drawing out the highest value for each date. The dates are listed
in a long block and are already sorted, but need differentiating
between.

Er.. hopefully that's as clear as something thinner than mud.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:02:35 -0700 (PDT), Laura wrote:

This is a little tricky to explain, but hopefully will make sense.

A series of data is produced that monitors concurrent users on a
system. This is returned every five minutes of every day.
This is on a work book which has a month for each tab.

Data typically comes in the following, simple form:

Wed Nov 26 10:50:01 GMT 2008 0
Wed Nov 26 10:55:00 GMT 2008 0
Wed Nov 26 11:00:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:05:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:10:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:15:00 GMT 2008 1
Wed Nov 26 11:20:00 GMT 2008 1

Essentially, I need a way of differentiating between individual dates
and drawing out the highest value for each date. The dates are listed
in a long block and are already sorted, but need differentiating
between.

Er.. hopefully that's as clear as something thinner than mud.

You could use the Subtotal feature; or you could set up a pivot table

To use the Subtotal feature, I assume that you have three columns, label:

Date Time/Year Users

Then select Data/Subtotals and
On each change in Users
Use Function: MAX
Add subtotal to Users

For display you could collapse to Level 2

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perfect - thank you!
I knew there would be something simple in there but I don't find Excel
as intuitive as I probably should.