Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating the number of unique values with a range

I would be most grateful if someone could offer me some help.

I need to count the number of unique values within a column range. The range
is between B2:B65536. Each value consists of a series of alpha and numerical
characters and there are blank cells within the range.

There will be around 30,000 plus entries.

I have used various formulas, but due to the vast number of rows of data
they crash.

An example of one of the formulas I used is below:

=SUMPRODUCT((1/COUNTIF(A1:A5,A1:A5&"")))

I am desperate for an answer but am confused as to how to do this? Any help
or assistance would be very much greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson has got 'an answer'
(http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx) for you

--
Pecoflyer
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formula which will not take blanks into account

--
Pecoflyer
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=24224

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See your other post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SiH23" wrote in message
I would be most grateful if someone could offer me some help.

I need to count the number of unique values within a column range. The
range
is between B2:B65536. Each value consists of a series of alpha and
numerical
characters and there are blank cells within the range.

There will be around 30,000 plus entries.

I have used various formulas, but due to the vast number of rows of data
they crash.

An example of one of the formulas I used is below:

=SUMPRODUCT((1/COUNTIF(A1:A5,A1:A5&"")))

I am desperate for an answer but am confused as to how to do this? Any
help
or assistance would be very much greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you ever tried that formula on that big of a range, and if so, how long
did it take to calculate (if it ever did!) ?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP