Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default help creating a time function

Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

=A1-TIMEVALUE("8:00")

Format the resulting cell as time.

Regards,
Per

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. *Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. *I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? *Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Teethless mama.

Now where would i put this? I tried to put it in a cell and link it to my
time, but the format just shows 12:00 AM

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=MAX(A1,"8:00")-"8:00"

"Josh" wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Per,

That worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you!!!

Now one more question. I am also trying to add up the time but the simple
=sum (a2:d2) doesnt work. Is there a special one for time?

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your reply.

Sure, =SUM(A2:D2) work on time, but if the result exceeds 24 hours,
you have to format the resulting cell as Custom: [h]:mm to show the
result as hours.
(Goto Format Cells Number Custom Type: [h]:mm)

Regards,
Per

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. *Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. *I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? *Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

- Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Per,
I have tried this method and it still comes up as 0:00. I even made the
custom [h]:mm and used the h:mm format. Here is what the cell format is
currently

=SUM(J2:J34) It is formatted as [h]:mm