-   -   help creating a time function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/254078-help-creating-time-function.html)

Josh

help creating a time function

Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Per Jessen[_2_]

help creating a time function

Hi

=A1-TIMEVALUE("8:00")

Format the resulting cell as time.

Regards,
Per

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. *Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. *I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? *Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Teethless mama

help creating a time function

=MAX(A1,"8:00")-"8:00"

"Josh" wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Josh

help creating a time function

Thanks Teethless mama.

Now where would i put this? I tried to put it in a cell and link it to my
time, but the format just shows 12:00 AM

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=MAX(A1,"8:00")-"8:00"

"Josh" wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

Josh

help creating a time function

Per,

That worked PERFECTLY!!! Thank you!!!

Now one more question. I am also trying to add up the time but the simple
=sum (a2:d2) doesnt work. Is there a special one for time?

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.

Per Jessen[_2_]

help creating a time function

Thanks for your reply.

Sure, =SUM(A2:D2) work on time, but if the result exceeds 24 hours,
you have to format the resulting cell as Custom: [h]:mm to show the
result as hours.
(Goto Format Cells Number Custom Type: [h]:mm)

Regards,
Per

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. *Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. *I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? *Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

- Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Josh

help creating a time function

Hello Per,
I have tried this method and it still comes up as 0:00. I even made the
custom [h]:mm and used the h:mm format. Here is what the cell format is
currently

=SUM(J2:J34) It is formatted as [h]:mm

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

- Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

.

Josh

help creating a time function

I just noticed that if it is actual time it works. What I am trying to
caculate is the extra time with this formula. =TEXT(E30+I30,"h:mm") How can
I add that time up?

On 22 Jan., 02:29, Josh wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to create a time function that will look at a typical day and
add the hours. Then show how many hours after 8 is overtime. I have the
first part created, but how can I write a formula that will look at say 12:45
hours and tell me 4:45 of it is overtime? Please help!!

Thanks!!!

.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

- Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

.

David Biddulph[_2_]

help creating a time function

If you want to add it up, you need to make it a time, not text, so
=E30+I30 (and format as [h]:mm)
--
David Biddulph