Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Unique Records

Hi, is there a way of returning the list of unique records from a list of
data. For example, my list could contain 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 9, 1, 4, 5, 4, 4,
3, 2, 3, etc... I know I can use the frequency function but my list has over
2000 entries and I dont know what the actual unique list of numbers is in
order to use the frequency function. I could also use a pivot table but was
hoping to use some formula or formulae.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
suppose that your list start in C1 in D1 enter

=IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1)=1,C1,"")

copy formula down

"Ronan" wrote:

Hi, is there a way of returning the list of unique records from a list of
data. For example, my list could contain 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 9, 1, 4, 5, 4, 4,
3, 2, 3, etc... I know I can use the frequency function but my list has over
2000 entries and I dont know what the actual unique list of numbers is in
order to use the frequency function. I could also use a pivot table but was
hoping to use some formula or formulae.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your data is in column B, then in A1 enter
1
and in A2 enter:
=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B2,B2)1,"",1+MAX(A$1:A1)) and copy down. For exmple:

1 Curley
Curley
Curley
Curley
2 Ignatz
Ignatz
Ignatz
Ignatz
Ignatz
Ignatz
Ignatz
3 Larry
Larry
Larry
Larry
Larry
4 Moe
Moe
Moe
Moe
Moe
5 Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Shepp
Then in D1 enter:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(ROW(),A1:B30,2,FALSE)),"",VLOO KUP(ROW(),A1:B30,2,FALSE))
and copy down

This will display:

Curley
Ignatz
Larry
Moe
Shepp

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Ronan" wrote:

Hi, is there a way of returning the list of unique records from a list of
data. For example, my list could contain 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 9, 1, 4, 5, 4, 4,
3, 2, 3, etc... I know I can use the frequency function but my list has over
2000 entries and I dont know what the actual unique list of numbers is in
order to use the frequency function. I could also use a pivot table but was
hoping to use some formula or formulae.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The easiest way to extract uniques is by using the advanced filter. See
this:

http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

--
Biff