Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filer for unique records and return all column data for unique rec

I have thirteen columns and 18,000+ rows of data. What I would like to do is
filter for unique records based on two of the columns and then copy those
unique records to another location along with the remaining corresponding
column data for that unique record. I am hoping to use two columns for
filtering, that way I am less likely to remove clients with the same name but
not the same DOB. So for example:

Beginning with . . .

Client Name DOB Ethnicity
Jane Smith 8/13/1991 White
Maria Hernandez 1/03/1980 Hispanic
Jane Smith 8/13/1991 White
Maria Hernandez 2/16/1980 Hispanic

And get . . .

Client Name DOB Ethnicity
Jane Smith 8/13/1991 White
Maria Hernandez 1/03/1980 Hispanic
Maria Hernandez 2/16/1980 Hispanic

Is that possible? Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're using xl2007, you copy the entire range and then choose the "remove
duplicates" on the data group of the ribbon.

If you're using an older version, you could add another helper column with a
formula like:
=a2&"..."&text(b2,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Then I could drag that down as far as I needed and use that to filter my data.

Then add another helper column with a formula like:
=countif($x$2:$x2,x2)
(where x was the column letter for the first helper column.)

Drag down and filter by this column to show just the 1's.

Then copy those visible cells to a new location.

--

Dave Peterson