Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default conditional formating: ifs and highlighting rows

my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the date the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows with an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, you have to decide which way you want to go with this.

If you leave column J blank then you can base the CF on column J being
blank.

If you want column J to return "unresolved" then you can base the CF on
column J being "unresolved".

Either way, it's not difficult.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula in J is: =IF(I2=0,"",NETWORKDAYS(A2,I2,holidays))
so J shows blank on blank rows as well as unresolved rows. So I think this
means I need a formula that checks column A for a date (cuz if it's blank,
then the row stays the same), and then checks column I for a date (and if
this is blank, then the row should be highlighted)? or is there an easier
way to do this?

i tried using the formulas =if($a2<"",if($i2="",$j2="unresolved")) and
=if($a20,if($i2=0,$j2="unresolved")) in conditional formatting (while
columns A-J are highlighted), with a fill color. but they did nothing.

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ok i played around a bit and got this
=AND($A10,$J1="")
to work for highlighting. didn't realize it needed to reference the first
row to work properly :-P

any thoughts on getting "unresolved" in the J-cell?

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need a formula that checks column A for a date
(cuz if it's blank, then the row stays the same),
and then checks column I for a date (and if this is
blank, then the row should be highlighted)?

Yes

Try this as the formula CF formula:

=AND(COUNT($A2),$I2="")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the
date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows
with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly
even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That worked too when i substituted the row reference 1's for the 2's.

i still can't figure out how to get the j-cell to show "unresolved" but
that's not too big of a deal. just want to know for curiosity-sake

Thanks!

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the
date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows
with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly
even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this...

=IF(COUNT(A2,I2)=2,NETWORKDAYS($A2,$I2,holidays),I F(AND(COUNT(A2),I2=""),"unresolved",""))

Here's the beakdown:

If A2 and I2 both contain dates execute NETWOKDAYS

If A2 contains a date but I2 is blank/empty return unresolved.

Any other condition return blank

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

"Anna S" <Anna wrote in message
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the
date
the
incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column
I).
it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and
references an array of holiday dates on another sheet.

i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows
with
an
incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly
even
show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row.

Thanks!

.

If for some reason you don't actually want the word unresolved in
column J, maybe to facilitate data validation, you can use a custom
number format such as

mm-dd-yy;-0;u\n\r\e\solv\e\d

to show a date if a date is entered, the number if a negative number
is entered or the word unresolved if it is zero.

Ken