Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Help for Novice User - Lookup Option maybe

I give; fought with this all day. I'm sure it's really easy for some of you
gurus that my jealousy turns green over.
In one spreadsheet we constantly update addresses. The zip should identifiy
the group the record belongs to without retyping every time. example zip
code 77777 = Adam. I want the group name to display in a separate column.
The data that indicates 77777 is assigned to Adam is in a separate worksheet.
There could be multiple zips equal to Adam. There are 16 groups in all.
Here's the way the worksheet with the group names looks:
77001 Abraham
77002 Adam
77003 Adam
77004 Adam
77005 Abraham
77006 Adam
77007 Joshua
77008 Joshua
77009 Moses
77010 Adam
--
Thanks for everyone's help!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Suppose your list with Group names are in Sheet3, try this formula:

=VLOOKUP(77002,Sheet3!A1:B10,2)

You can substiture the number to look up with a cell reference.

Regards.
Per

On 9 Sep., 00:54, Gayle wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Per, thank you!! This was a great start. It works fine when the zip code is
within the groups. However we have zips in Texas or even other states that
do not appear in our groups but do appear in the member record. On those it
needs to return NA or blank or something. Right now it's just picking one of
the group. Any more ideas?
--
Thanks for everyone''''s help!!

On 9 Sep., 00:54, Gayle wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need another agument to keep Excel from finding closest match.

=VLOOKUP(77002,Sheet3!A1:B10,2,FALSE)

will return NA if not found.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(77002,Sheet3!A1:B10,2,FALSE)),"", VLOOKUP(77002,Sheet3!A1:B10,2,FALSE))

will return a blank looking cell if not found.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:27:02 -0700, Gayle wrote:

Per, thank you!! This was a great start. It works fine when the zip code is
within the groups. However we have zips in Texas or even other states that
do not appear in our groups but do appear in the member record. On those it
needs to return NA or blank or something. Right now it's just picking one of
the group. Any more ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, we've had internet problems so it took me a while to get back to this.
I don't know what happened I tried adding the False earlier and it didn't
work; tried it today and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much!!!
--
Thanks all!!!