Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hiding Worksheets and Unhiding them easily for Novice User

A former student in an Excel class has asked me the following question, "My
manager has posed a Microsoft Excel question that I am unable to answer so I
thought Id reach out for your assistance. I am working on a workbook for
her that has 20 tabs (worksheets). 10 of the tabs are related to one topic,
and the other 10 tabs are related to second topic. Shed like to open the
workbook and have two taps (Topic One & Topic Two) and then click on the
respective tab to see the 10 tabs that apply to it. Is it possible to do
tabs within tabs?"

1) I put together a recording macro that seems to work OK. I recorded
several macros and assigned them to buttons and it looks like it works. It
appears that a user would have problems if worksheets were renamed and added
so I'm not sure if this is a good solution.

2) My question to the newsgroup: Is macro the way to go or is there
something else for this person?

Thanks for any assistance in coming up with alternatives for this situation!

Jugglertwo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jugglertwo,

You could use named views of the workbook, with different sets of sheets hidden.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Jugglertwo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After you have set up two custom views as Bernie suggests, you could assign a
macro to each of two buttons if you wished.

Sub Showone()
ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("Topic One").Show
End Sub

Sub Showtwo()
ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("Topic Two").Show
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:10:01 -0700, Jugglertwo
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OR, you might wish to install the "Custom Views" window right in your
toolbar, or your menu bar (usually, much more room on the menu bar).

The "Custom Views" widow displays the current view in real time, and you can
expand the window to see a list of all existing views in the WB, and allows
an instant view change by simply clicking on the name of any existing view.

Right click in the toolbar and choose "Customize".
Under the "Commands" tab, click on VIEWS in the left window,
and then, from the right window, drag the "Custom Views" window to either
your toolbar, or your menu bar.

While you're still in the "Customize" mode, you can hover the cursor over
the right or left border of the window, and drag to adjust the size of the
window.

--
HTH,

RD

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks to everyone for the excellent suggestions.
My macro idea definitely was not the best solution as I can see.
This is why I use the newsgroups. You all are the BESTEST ! :)
Thanks again!
Jugglertwo