Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Column Summation

I know this is likely an insanely simple situation, but it is early Tuesday
and I am stumped.

I have a simple spreadsheet breaking hours down by percentage to spread my
labor costs across multiple projects. All number cells are formatted the
same: Numeric with 1 decimal place. However, when I enter my total hours and
the math occurs, the resulting breakdown does not add back up to my total
hours. It is almost always off by 0.1

TOT 11.0
4% 0.4
15% 1.7
2% 0.2
31% 3.4
7% 0.8
17% 1.9
14% 1.5
5% 0.6
5% 0.6

Is there some contraint that I can place on any cell to force this to add up
correctly? I know it must be a decimal situation somewhere, but I am stumped.

THANK YOU!
Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Instead of formatting try rounding to 1 decimal place: =ROUND(C1,1)
Regards,
Stefi

€˛Scott Adams€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To overcome this you can use the ROUND() function on all your calculations, or
go to ToolsOptionsCalculationPrecision as displayed..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Scott Adams" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Stefi and Jacob --

I updated each function to round to 1 decimal as follows:

=ROUND(H2*$C$3,1)

The sum total still is high by 0.1

11.0
4% 0.4
15% 1.7
2% 0.2
31% 3.4
7% 0.8
17% 1.9
14% 1.5
5% 0.6
5% 0.6
11.1

"Stefi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Scott add this manually and see...It adds upto 11.1
--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

"Stefi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't follow the calculation process, please post your original data set
and your formulae!
Stefi

€˛Scott Adams€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Stefi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Display your numbers as 2 decimal places (or as General) instead of 1, and
they will add up to 11.0.
It is because you rounded them to 1 place that you've got the wrong answer.
--
David Biddulph

"Stefi" wrote:

Instead of formatting try rounding to 1 decimal place: =ROUND(C1,1)
Regards,
Stefi

"Scott Adams" ezt ķrta:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here are the formulae. Does this help?

Hrs/Day 11.0 <= C2
%
4% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.4
15% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.7
2% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.2
31% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 3.4
7% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.8
17% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.9
14% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.5
5% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.6
5% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.6
Total: 11.1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As I mentioned in an earlier post, your rounding to one place is what causes
the numbers not to add up to 11.0.
Round them to 2 places, or don't bother rounding, and they'll add up to
11.0.
The values are
0.44
1.65
0.22
3.41
0.77
1.87
1.54
0.55
0.55
--
David Biddulph

"Scott Adams" wrote in message
Here are the formulae. Does this help?

Hrs/Day 11.0 <= C2
%
4% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.4
15% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.7
2% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.2
31% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 3.4
7% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.8
17% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.9
14% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 1.5
5% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.6
5% =Round(C2*percentage,1) 0.6
Total: 11.1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have replied to your own message and thanked yourself. If you were
trying to reply to someone else's message, you need to select that and reply
to it.

But I guess it's still early in the morning in your part of the world? :-)