Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Dat. Validaation - simple ques

Hi,

I have created a list of inputs from which I use data validation to create
the drop down list. I have selected 20 cells in the list, the last 8 of
which are empty so that someone can add more in the future.

When I select the drop down menu it opens the drop down on the first empty
cell so the user has to move up to find anything useful.

Can i get it to open on the first item in the list or at least one closer to
the top?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could try leaving the first cell in your list of inputs blank

Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I am not very clear about your question but I assume that you do not want
want blanks to appear in the data validation list. What you could do is
convert the range (of options which will appear in the drop down) to a list
(Ctrl+L). Now refer to the range in the Data Validation Allow List
Source. Now whenever the user adds data to the range, it will automatically
appear in the validation list.

Hope this helps.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"LiAD" wrote in message

I have created a list of inputs from which I use data validation to create
the drop down list. I have selected 20 cells in the list, the last 8 of
which are empty so that someone can add more in the future.

When I select the drop down menu it opens the drop down on the first empty
cell so the user has to move up to find anything useful.

Can i get it to open on the first item in the list or at least one closer
the top?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I cannot reproduce this - my list shows the blanks at the bottom

In Excel 2003 you could make your validation range into an Excel List (use
Data | List | Make List)
selecting only the non-banks. A List can be added to and the Validation
picks up new members automatically.

In Excel 2007 Lists became Tables - neither term seems to help since we
still have to call them Excel Tables to make it clear what is meant!

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"LiAD" wrote in message

I have created a list of inputs from which I use data validation to create
the drop down list. I have selected 20 cells in the list, the last 8 of
which are empty so that someone can add more in the future.

When I select the drop down menu it opens the drop down on the first empty
cell so the user has to move up to find anything useful.

Can i get it to open on the first item in the list or at least one closer
the top?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wouldn't include any empty cells in that range.

Instead, I'd use a dynamic range that expands and contracts with the number of
rows in that range.

Debra Dalgleish has some notes here that may help:
http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

LiAD wrote:

Hi,

I have created a list of inputs from which I use data validation to create
the drop down list. I have selected 20 cells in the list, the last 8 of
which are empty so that someone can add more in the future.

When I select the drop down menu it opens the drop down on the first empty
cell so the user has to move up to find anything useful.

Can i get it to open on the first item in the list or at least one closer to
the top?

Thanks

--

Dave Peterson