Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default give each NO in a drop down a different value

I have a worksheet in which I want to be able to give the NO's in the drop
down a different value so that the total value when added up will tell me the
number of guided learning hours required for the individual.

I hope this makes sense..
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Maybe something like this
Assuming data in A2:A10 (including "No"'s)
where each "No" = to deduct 5 marks, say
In B2: =SUM(A2:A10)-(COUNTIF(A2:A10,"No")*5)
--
Max
Singapore
"Shevy" wrote:
I have a worksheet in which I want to be able to give the NO's in the drop
down a different value so that the total value when added up will tell me the
number of guided learning hours required for the individual.

I hope this makes sense..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Max

sorry as you might of guessed excel aint my strongest...

What i need to tally up is if the NO =

2 in A2
4 in A3
6 in A3
10 in A4

Which would give me a total of 22

and all the YES would = 0

"Shevy" wrote:
I have a worksheet in which I want to be able to give the NO's in the drop
down a different value so that the total value when added up will tell me the
number of guided learning hours required for the individual.

I hope this makes sense..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Still vague to me, I'm afraid, but here's another guess

In C2: =SUMIF(A2:A10,"No",B2:B10)
where A2:A10 would house the "No", "Yes" indications
with B2:B10 containing the corresponding numbers to be summed

Did the above hit the barndoor? wave it, click the YES button below
--
"Shevy" wrote:
What i need to tally up is if the NO =

2 in A2
4 in A3
6 in A3
10 in A4

Which would give me a total of 22
and all the YES would = 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok lets have one more go at this.... IF

A2 no (HAS VALUE OF 2)
A3 no (HAS VALUE OF 6)
A4 no (HAS VALUE OF 2)
A5 yes (HAS VALUE OF 0)
A6 no (HAS VALUE OF 5)
A7 no (HAS VALUE OF 2)
A8 yes (HAS VALUE OF 0)

So what I need to know is if you was answering these questions above how
would I be able to value the NO's with a different value?? So the total at
the bottom would add up all the values ofcourse ignoring the YES's as they
have zero value...

at present I have =COUNTIF(I14:I33,"NO") but that is counting NO as 1

"Shevy" wrote:
What i need to tally up is if the NO =

2 in A2
4 in A3
6 in A3
10 in A4

Which would give me a total of 22
and all the YES would = 0

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Assuming your "hidden" weights for "No" in A2:A8
a 2;6;2;5;5;2;5
then this expression:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A8="No"),{2;6;2;5;5;2;5})
will return it

aloha? yes it below