Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto Filter Comma Dilemiation

I have a spreadsheet and I would like to be able to limit the number of
columns by using comma separations. If I have Column B and it has a list of
10 rows with numbers or text in there, separated by commas, how do I filter
it with auto filter?

For example. Column B, Row 1 has 4,5. Column B, Row 2 has 2,3,4, and Column
B Row 3 has 5,6,3. I'd like it to pick that apart in auto filter to show a
list of 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- 6 instead of: 4,5 -- 2,3,4 -- 5,6,3. Then when I
filter it by selecting the 4, it would show all the rows with 4 in it.

If anyone knows of a way to do this please respond!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

AutofilterCustomContains 4

Excel has millions of cells and 256 columns........16,384 in Excel 2007

In the interests of saving space you have made it very difficult to filter,
sort, calculate or use other functions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:37:01 -0700, weswhite7
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet and I would like to be able to limit the number of
columns by using comma separations. If I have Column B and it has a list of
10 rows with numbers or text in there, separated by commas, how do I filter
it with auto filter?

For example. Column B, Row 1 has 4,5. Column B, Row 2 has 2,3,4, and Column
B Row 3 has 5,6,3. I'd like it to pick that apart in auto filter to show a
list of 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- 6 instead of: 4,5 -- 2,3,4 -- 5,6,3. Then when I
filter it by selecting the 4, it would show all the rows with 4 in it.

If anyone knows of a way to do this please respond!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You can't get the auto filter to display what you want on its list, but you
can filter for 4.

Open the filter and choose Custom, leave equal on the left and enter *4* on
the right.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire