Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Summing Values/Outputs of IF formulae

Would anyone be able to advise me how to go about summing the values/outputs
that result from the use of a IF formula?

Background - I used a IF formula to assign scores of 1-4 for the categories
low, moderate, significant and high. I now need to sum these scores. Using
SUM does not work nor does SUMIF...

help pls
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

An IF formula will give one result. If you wish to sum the results of a
number of IF formulae, you can use SUM and give the SUM function arguments
which are the cell references where your IF formulae are sitting.
--
David Biddulph

shadesoflife wrote:
Would anyone be able to advise me how to go about summing the
values/outputs that result from the use of a IF formula?

Background - I used a IF formula to assign scores of 1-4 for the
categories low, moderate, significant and high. I now need to sum
these scores. Using SUM does not work nor does SUMIF...

help pls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Post a copy of your IF formula. It seems like you should be able to
SUM the results without any problem; unless you are assigning your
scores as "1", "2", etc.

Ken

On May 13, 4:24*pm, shadesoflife
wrote:
Would anyone be able to advise me how to go about summing the values/outputs
that result from the use of a IF formula?

Background - I used a IF formula to assign scores of 1-4 for the categories
low, moderate, significant and high. I now need to sum these scores. Using
SUM does not work nor does SUMIF...

help pls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I used a IF formula to assign scores of 1-4
Using SUM does not work

In your IF formula remove the quotes from around any numbers. For example:

WRONG:

=IF(A1="A","1","0")

RIGHT:

=IF(A1="A",1,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"shadesoflife" wrote in message
Would anyone be able to advise me how to go about summing the
values/outputs
that result from the use of a IF formula?

Background - I used a IF formula to assign scores of 1-4 for the
categories
low, moderate, significant and high. I now need to sum these scores. Using
SUM does not work nor does SUMIF...

help pls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(D58="","0",IF(D58="LOW","1",IF(D59="MODERATE" ,"2",IF(D58="SIGNIFICANT","3","4"))))

Remove the quotes from around the numbers:

=IF(D58="",0,IF(D58="LOW",1,IF(D59="MODERATE",2,IF (D58="SIGNIFICANT",3,4))))

When you quote numbers they get evaluated as TEXT. The SUM function ignores
text.