Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cannot expand the selection to entire spreadsheet when sorting

I have a spreadsheet with 9 columns. I want to sort the last column and
first columns. I am highlighting the column and clicking on Sort. I get the
popup asking if I want to expand the selection (which I tell it to expand).
It will only expand the selection to the two columns on the end and will not
include the prior columns. To troubleshoot, I checked the prior columns by
highlighting the entire column. When doing so, the Sort is disabled for all
the columns but the last two.

I've also copied/pasted the contents into a new file and am having the same
problem. I'm out of ideas and am open to suggestions.

I'm running Office 2007 w/SP1.

Thanks in advance!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cannot expand the selection to entire spreadsheet when sorting

It sounds like you may have some merged cells or hidden columns in your spreadsheet that are preventing you from expanding the selection when sorting. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check for merged cells: Merged cells can cause issues when sorting, as they can prevent the selection from expanding properly. To check for merged cells, select the entire spreadsheet by clicking the box in the upper left corner of the worksheet (above row 1 and to the left of column A). Then, go to the Home tab and click on the Merge & Center button in the Alignment group. If the button is grayed out, there are no merged cells in your spreadsheet. If it is active, click on it to unmerge any merged cells.
  2. Unhide any hidden columns: Hidden columns can also prevent the selection from expanding properly. To check for hidden columns, select the entire spreadsheet by clicking the box in the upper left corner of the worksheet (above row 1 and to the left of column A). Then, go to the Home tab and click on the Format button in the Cells group. From the drop-down menu, select Hide & Unhide and then click on Unhide Columns. If any columns were hidden, they will now be visible and you should be able to expand the selection when sorting.
  3. Try sorting one column at a time: If you are still having issues expanding the selection when sorting, try sorting one column at a time. First, select the column you want to sort and click on the Sort button. In the Sort dialog box, select the options you want and click OK. Then, select the next column you want to sort and repeat the process. This may be a bit more time-consuming, but it should allow you to sort the columns you need without any issues.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue you are experiencing when sorting your spreadsheet. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

The selection will not expand across a totally blank column or row. Just
select all the data, for example A1:H100, and then choose the sort command.

In addition, I am not clear on what you mean by "I checked the prior columns
by
highlighting the entire column. When doing so, the Sort is disabled for all
the columns but the last two." What do you mean by checked the prior columns? Where did you check them? When you say the sort is disabled for all ... what do you mean? If you put your cursor in any single cell of any other column except the last two, are you saying the Sort options in not available? What version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Mikki" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 9 columns. I want to sort the last column and
first columns. I am highlighting the column and clicking on Sort. I get the
popup asking if I want to expand the selection (which I tell it to expand).
It will only expand the selection to the two columns on the end and will not
include the prior columns. To troubleshoot, I checked the prior columns by
highlighting the entire column. When doing so, the Sort is disabled for all
the columns but the last two.

I've also copied/pasted the contents into a new file and am having the same
problem. I'm out of ideas and am open to suggestions.

I'm running Office 2007 w/SP1.

Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Shane. I'm running Excel 2007 w/SP1. All columns have data in them,
so that isn't the problem. When I say that I checked the other columns, what
I mean is that I highlighted the individual columns. When I do so, the Sort
function is disabled on all but the last two columns. I have tried to
highlight all the cells and then select Sort but that doesn't work either -
the Sort is disabled.

The strange thing is that I can copy/paste the last 2/3 of the spreadsheet
into a new file and I am able to sort it. My guess is that there is some
strange command/value buried in the top 1/3 rows that is causing the Sort to
be disabled. I just have no idea what it could be.

This is just a basic spreadsheet - the columns are either text or dates, no
formulas, etc. Nothing more than a basic sheet. The only thing that it had
at one time were some rows were grouped and some cells were merged. Over the
life of the document, all these have been removed and there are no merged
cells or any grouping. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to re-type
the data into a new sheet - I was just hoping to avoid that in the interest
of time - but the time that I've spent on this problem at this point, I could
have re-typed everything!

Thanks for your help.