Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting data does not expand to other sheets

Hi. I am looking for a way to maintain data on multiple sheets if I sort.
For example:
Sheet 1
A B
1 k blue
2 m green
3 c red

Sheet 2 is
A B
1 =sheet1!A1 circle
2 =sheet1!A2 square
3 =sheet1!A3 oval

Every time I sort column A in sheet 1, column A in sheet 2 does as well, but
the sort did not expand to the data in column B sheet 2. Is there a way
around this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

In column B of sheet 2, use the VLOOKUP() formula

=vlookup(A1,Sheet1!A1:B3,2,0) and copy down

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"ahkasiv" wrote in message
Hi. I am looking for a way to maintain data on multiple sheets if I sort.
For example:
Sheet 1
A B
1 k blue
2 m green
3 c red

Sheet 2 is
A B
1 =sheet1!A1 circle
2 =sheet1!A2 square
3 =sheet1!A3 oval

Every time I sort column A in sheet 1, column A in sheet 2 does as well,
but
the sort did not expand to the data in column B sheet 2. Is there a way
around this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ashish, thanks for the suggestion which I will use regardless but it doesn't
seem to work for me. Just to clarify, if I sort Column A sheet 1 from a to
z, sheet 2 column b stays the same and does not sort with column A. Ideally
I would like to see sheet 2 change from
A B
1 =sheet1!A1 circle
2 =sheet1!A2 square
3 =sheet1!A3 oval

A B
1 =sheet1!A3 oval
2 =sheet1!A1 circle
3 =sheet1!A2 square

The reason why there is data on 2 sheets is because otherwise the data is
less manageable and stretches across 50 columns. This was our solution
although faulty it would seem. :)

"ahkasiv" wrote in message
Hi. I am looking for a way to maintain data on multiple sheets if I sort.
For example:
Sheet 1
A B
1 k blue
2 m green
3 c red

Sheet 2 is
A B
1 =sheet1!A1 circle
2 =sheet1!A2 square
3 =sheet1!A3 oval

Every time I sort column A in sheet 1, column A in sheet 2 does as well,
but
the sort did not expand to the data in column B sheet 2. Is there a way
around this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this.

In another range (say G3:H45), make a 2*2 table with All data from column 1
of sheet 1 in the first column. In the second column. have all the values
from column B of sheet 2.

Now you can use the VLOOKUP formula in sheet 2=vlookup(A1,G3:H45,2,0)

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com