Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RD RD is offline

Default Hyperlink changed???

We have a spreadsheet with cells that link to pdf files in a different folder. One day the links all changed from:

"\\server\asset_records\Scanned_Images\Buildings\0 01-Engineering_Building\file.pdf" (this is where the pdf resides)

to "\\server\asset_records\1 - Main Campus Buildings\file.pdf" (this is where the spreadsheet resides). Of course it now cannot find the file.

We have about 2000 links in this spreadsheet so we would like the why this happened and how to fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The 'why' only you yourselves can figure out, to fix use EDITREPLACE

Find what-Box: 1 - Main Campus Buildings
Replace with-Box: Scanned_Images\Buildings\001-Engineering_Building
Hit Replace all.....DONE!

Paul
"RD" wrote in message ...
We have a spreadsheet with cells that link to pdf files in a different folder. One day the links all changed from:

"\\server\asset_records\Scanned_Images\Buildings\0 01-Engineering_Building\file.pdf" (this is where the pdf resides)

to "\\server\asset_records\1 - Main Campus Buildings\file.pdf" (this is where the spreadsheet resides). Of course it now cannot find the file.

We have about 2000 links in this spreadsheet so we would like the why this happened and how to fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually I think I may have been a bit quick on the draw.
I think some one may have done what I have suggested but in reverse, as a joke.

Have you actually tried to open a link? I suspect it still points to the correct file.

The reason I say this is that hyperlinks have two values: the text one which you see
in the cell; and the address one which is stored when it is created.

Select a cell where a hyperlink resides and call the hyperlink dialog box (Ctrl+k)
Check to see if it still shows the path: "\\server\asset_records\Scanned_Images\Buildings\0 01-Engineering_Building\file.pdf"
in the address box. In which case, it is the text which is just misleading.

Paul

"RD" wrote in message ...
We have a spreadsheet with cells that link to pdf files in a different folder. One day the links all changed from:

"\\server\asset_records\Scanned_Images\Buildings\0 01-Engineering_Building\file.pdf" (this is where the pdf resides)

to "\\server\asset_records\1 - Main Campus Buildings\file.pdf" (this is where the spreadsheet resides). Of course it now cannot find the file.

We have about 2000 links in this spreadsheet so we would like the why this happened and how to fix.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RD RD is offline

Well, unfortunately, neither are the case. The replace doesn't work as it cannot find text in hyperlinks. Unfortunately the text is as it should be. I've attached the edithyperlink and the GOOD edit hyperlink dialog boxes.

I tried sending pictures of the dialog boxes but the newsgroup won't accept them.

RD