Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with questionnaire responses

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, i have a questionnaire which uses
radio buttons, check boxes and text boxes to record responses from users.

Is there a way (with some code) that i can record the response to each
question in another sheet within the same file?

So, for example, sheet 2 could have the responses - column A would be called
questions and column B would be called answers.

I would just do a simple lookup to do this but i dont think its going to
work with radio buttons and check box responses, not sure if a lookup can
lookup responses recorded in checkboxes and tickboxes.

Please reply at your earliest possible convinience.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gemz

Each radio button, checkbox, and text box has a 'linked cell' property - you
can set it to whichever cell is necessary (on any sheet).

Right click on the checkbox, click on Format Control, from the Control tab
select the cell you want the control to link to.

Checkboxes return a TRUE or FALSE value, Radio buttons return a numeric
value, and textboxes return the text itself.

HTH

Trevor Williams

"Gemz" wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, i have a questionnaire which uses
radio buttons, check boxes and text boxes to record responses from users.

Is there a way (with some code) that i can record the response to each
question in another sheet within the same file?

So, for example, sheet 2 could have the responses - column A would be called
questions and column B would be called answers.

I would just do a simple lookup to do this but i dont think its going to
work with radio buttons and check box responses, not sure if a lookup can
lookup responses recorded in checkboxes and tickboxes.

Please reply at your earliest possible convinience.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Thanks, the checkbox link works fine and so does the textbox one but the
radio button one i am not too sure about, i right clicked but it didnt have
format control as an option, just format object - couldnt see anyway to link.
Also, there are 5 radio buttons how can i link so it just shows the radio
button that has been selected? so in the 'summary' sheet i want it to show
the value of the radio button selected (so if radio button where value of
'useful' was selected then it should show this). Also, u stated radio buttons
return a numeric value.. what numbers?

thanks in advance.

"Gemz" wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, i have a questionnaire which uses
radio buttons, check boxes and text boxes to record responses from users.

Is there a way (with some code) that i can record the response to each
question in another sheet within the same file?

So, for example, sheet 2 could have the responses - column A would be called
questions and column B would be called answers.

I would just do a simple lookup to do this but i dont think its going to
work with radio buttons and check box responses, not sure if a lookup can
lookup responses recorded in checkboxes and tickboxes.

Please reply at your earliest possible convinience.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gemz

The radio button (or Option Button to give it it's correct name) should have
the the Format Control option -- do you know if they were inserted from the
Control Toolbox or the Forms Toolbar? Either way they should have the
option, but they won't have the cell link option if inserted from the Control
Toolbox.

The numeric value returned will be the number of the Option Button within
the group of option buttons - so, as you've got 5 if you select the third
one, a 3 will be returned.

You would need another cell with an IF statement in to work out what Option
Button was selected e.g. If the cell linked to the option button was A1 then
use this formula in B1:

=IF(A1 = 1,"Useful",IF(A1 = 2,"Slightly Useful",IF(A1 = 3,"No Use At

If you want to have more than one group of option buttons (e.g. another
group of 5 for a different question) then you need to put a GroupBox around
them on your sheet -- a groupbox can be inserted from the Forms toolbar.

Hope that's helpful.

Trevor