Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
woodhands

Default counting responses - please help

I have survey results in a table - 40 columns x 315 rows (people
surveyed)
I want to count the responses, e.g. Q #1 had 4 choices - S, L, H or W.
How many in column 1 answered "S"? How many "L"? Etc.

I have tried SumA, CountA, and DCountA and cannot derive a formula.
For instance =COUNTA(H3:H315,"H)") just returns the number of

Please help !

Here is a sample column showing a few results:
[blank]

My formula would show for this segment: S had 6 responses, L had 1, W
had 1 and H had 1.

WH

--
woodhands
woodhands's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35298

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
woodhands

Never mind, Peo answered this in another thread - it's done with
CountIF(H1:H315,"H").

Thanks!

--
woodhands
woodhands's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35298
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=550801

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=COUNTIF(H:H,"S")

etc.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"woodhands" wrote
in message ...

I have survey results in a table - 40 columns x 315 rows (people
surveyed)
I want to count the responses, e.g. Q #1 had 4 choices - S, L, H or W.
How many in column 1 answered "S"? How many "L"? Etc.

I have tried SumA, CountA, and DCountA and cannot derive a formula.
For instance =COUNTA(H3:H315,"H)") just returns the number of

Please help !

Here is a sample column showing a few results:
[blank]

My formula would show for this segment: S had 6 responses, L had 1, W
had 1 and H had 1.

WH

--
woodhands
woodhands's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=550801

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

You're close........try this instead.......

=COUNTIF(H3:H315,"H")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"woodhands" wrote
in message ...

I have survey results in a table - 40 columns x 315 rows (people
surveyed)
I want to count the responses, e.g. Q #1 had 4 choices - S, L, H or W.
How many in column 1 answered "S"? How many "L"? Etc.

I have tried SumA, CountA, and DCountA and cannot derive a formula.
For instance =COUNTA(H3:H315,"H)") just returns the number of

Please help !

Here is a sample column showing a few results:
[blank]

My formula would show for this segment: S had 6 responses, L had 1, W
had 1 and H had 1.

WH

--
woodhands