Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Strange behavior when calculate two or more cells

Hi there,

I know that most of you won't believe that the following situation is true
but it is !!
I have about 50 users with typical Excel 2007 sp1 installation. No strange
add-ins or anything similar.

Some of them when they try the very simple action to add or multiply etc
cells from another sheet and return the result to the current one, they don't
get what they expect.

To be specific: Suppose that i am in sheet2!A5 cell. I am typing "=" and
move to sheet1. I choose cell B4 (i see the value on the formula bar) i type,
let's say, "+" and choose cell C3. After that i press enter.

The normal would be to return in sheet2!A5 cell the result of the formula
Sheet1B4+sheet1C3. Well it doesn't. The formula and the result are entered in
the A5 cell of sheet1 and nothing in sheet2.

That's very weird and i'd appreciate a hint soon.

Thanks and regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I cannot reproduce this. You say 'some' users have this problem but not
others. Can you fins a commonality? What happens if you carry out the
procedure on a problem PC? -- i.e is it a user problem?
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gribs" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

What bothers me first is that when you click on a cell in the second
spreadsheet you say you see the "i see the value on the formula bar", you
should not see the value, you should see something like =Sheet1!B4. I have
never seen this before nor heard of it.

Also the second behavior - that the formulas results are going into
Sheet1!A5 when you never even select A5 on sheet1 is again something I have
never seen, and can't duplicate.

So, so clarify you start in cell A5 of Sheet2 and type equal, click on Shee1
and then on a cell on that sheet, at that point instead of seeing a formula
on the formula bar you see a value, say 10, then you press enter and you are
returned to Sheet2 cell A5 but it is empty. When you switch to Sheet1 you
discover you something in ceell A5 where there wasn't anything before. Is
that "something" the value or the formula you were attempting to type? And
if it is a formula what does it read - =B4 or =Sheet1!B4 or some value, say
10 or maybe =10?

And when you say "you" type these formulas, do you mean the user or you
personally have done this?

Is the problem spreadsheet specific - if you take the same spreadsheet to
another machine and "you" duplicate the steps does the same thing happen. If
you open a different file, maybe a new worksheet on one of the offending
machines, does the problem persist.

Did this problem start all of a sudden or has it been going on for years?

If it is a new problem, what has changed - have you installed new software,
operating systems, or switched hardware?

Can a user who is not having the problem come to the machine where the
problem is occuring and experience the same problem in the same files?

Can a user who is having the problem move to another machine where there
have been no problems and duplicate the problem there.

Can you office "Excel Guru" duplicate the problem?

So - is the problem entirely random, or machine specific, user specific,
file specific or ...

Shane Devenshire