Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Format Using Reating Symbols

I want to format cells so that the numer entered appears as a symbol that
repeats up to the value of the number (e.g. the number "2" would appear as
"ˆšˆš", "3" would appear as "ˆšˆšˆš", etc.). Any ideas om how to help. I know
that I have done it before, but I forget how I did it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't think of an easy formatting solution, but as a formula in another
column try =REPT("?",A2)
--
David Biddulph

"Needy Ned" wrote in message
I want to format cells so that the numer entered appears as a symbol that
repeats up to the value of the number (e.g. the number "2" would appear as
"??", "3" would appear as "???", etc.). Any ideas om how to help. I know
that I have done it before, but I forget how I did it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use two cell. In A1 enter 4, In B1 enter:

=REPT("ˆš",A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

"Needy Ned" wrote:

I want to format cells so that the numer entered appears as a symbol that
repeats up to the value of the number (e.g. the number "2" would appear as
"ˆšˆš", "3" would appear as "ˆšˆšˆš", etc.). Any ideas om how to help. I know
that I have done it before, but I forget how I did it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, but that won't work, becuase I want to treat them as numbers (e.g.
sum, count, etc.). I used a custom format and put a "ˆš" in the "type" box,
but it places only one "ˆš" no matter what the value.

"Needy Ned" wrote:

I want to format cells so that the numer entered appears as a symbol that
repeats up to the value of the number (e.g. the number "2" would appear as
"ˆšˆš", "3" would appear as "ˆšˆšˆš", etc.). Any ideas om how to help. I know
that I have done it before, but I forget how I did it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Oct 27, 4:34špm, Needy Ned
wrote:
Thanks, but that won't work, becuase I want to treat them as numbers (e.g..
sum, count, etc.). šI used a custom format and put a "–" in the "type" box,
but it places only one "–" no matter what the value.

"Needy Ned" wrote:
I want to format cells so that the numer entered appears as a symbol that
repeats up to the value of the number (e.g. the number "2" would appear as
"––", "3" would appear as "–––", etc.). šAny ideas om how to help. šI know
that I have done it before, but I forget how I did it.

Why wouldn't it work? You have your number in another column, possibly
hidden. And any counting or summing would be done on the "real" number
column, while the visible column is the checkmarks.