Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I format a cell using symbols within a formula?

How do I format a cell so that it will display a symbol such as: green arrow
up, red arrow down, or black horizontal arrow? This would be used to show
the rise, fall, or steadiness of day-to-day stock prices, as follows: 1) if
d13f13, then green arrow up, 2) if d13<f13, then red arrow down, or 3) if
d13=f13, then black horizontal arrow.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This will get you started:
A1 holds a number
C1 has formula =IF(A110,CHAR(233),CHAR(234))
C1 is formatted with font Wingding 1
So I get either an up or a down arrow in C1 depending on A1's value
C1 also has Format | Conditional Formatting
1) Formula Is =A110 font colour green
2) Formula Is A1<=10 font colour is red
Now I get either a green up or a red down arrow in C1 depending on A1's
value

To get black horizontal arrow when A1=10
C1 has formula =IF(A110,CHAR(233),IF(A1=10, CHAR(231), CHAR(234))
change conditional formatting
2) Formula Is A1<10 font colour is red
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"divewater" wrote in message
How do I format a cell so that it will display a symbol such as: green
arrow
up, red arrow down, or black horizontal arrow? This would be used to show
the rise, fall, or steadiness of day-to-day stock prices, as follows: 1)
if
d13f13, then green arrow up, 2) if d13<f13, then red arrow down, or 3) if
d13=f13, then black horizontal arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
you might try the font wingdings. I have use them in the past perticularly
the check mark. Format the cell to wingding, press the a key and a check mark
appears instead of the letter a. wingdings 3 has several different arrows and
you can color them up just like a regular font.

Regards
FSt1

"divewater" wrote:

How do I format a cell so that it will display a symbol such as: green arrow
up, red arrow down, or black horizontal arrow? This would be used to show
the rise, fall, or steadiness of day-to-day stock prices, as follows: 1) if
d13f13, then green arrow up, 2) if d13<f13, then red arrow down, or 3) if
d13=f13, then black horizontal arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

G13: =IF(D13F13,CHAR(225),IF(D13<F13,CHAR(226),CHAR(22 4)))

Format font in G13 as Wingdings

Condition 1:
Formula Is =$D$13$F$13
format as Green