Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to convert time expressed as a decimal to actual hours or minu

I am receiving a report from a vendor that lists call time minutes of usage
in decimal form, i.e. 5.15. When I try to convert this figure into actual
time format using the formula, =TEXT(G36/24,"H:MM:SS"), my return is 5:09:00.
It appears this formula is returning the amount of time after midnite and not
what I am looking for, which is the time expressed in actual hours and or
minutes used.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Is 5.15 equivalent to 5 minutes and 15 seconds? If so, you could use the
following to convert to Excel time (remember to format the formula cell in a
time format):

=(A1+MOD(A1,1)*40/60)/1440

1440 being the number of minutes in a day.

Richard

"ascottbag-hcm" wrote in message
I am receiving a report from a vendor that lists call time minutes of usage
in decimal form, i.e. 5.15. When I try to convert this figure into actual
time format using the formula, =TEXT(G36/24,"H:MM:SS"), my return is
5:09:00.
It appears this formula is returning the amount of time after midnite and
not
what I am looking for, which is the time expressed in actual hours and or
minutes used.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peo

As my reply asked, it depends on what is represented by the .15. If it
means 15/100 of a minute then your formula is indeed the correct one.

Richard

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes you are correct, sometimes I read questions too fast. I just went with
the what the
OP tried with his TEXT formula.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to convert time expressed as a decimal to actual hours or

Hi Richard,
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I have a simular problem only
with hours and minutes.

I need to convert numbers like 33.33 to an hour:minute signature. Can you
help me with this?
Thanks much
Jacqueline

"Richard Schollar" wrote:

Hi

Is 5.15 equivalent to 5 minutes and 15 seconds? If so, you could use the
following to convert to Excel time (remember to format the formula cell in a
time format):

=(A1+MOD(A1,1)*40/60)/1440

1440 being the number of minutes in a day.

Richard

"ascottbag-hcm" wrote in message
I am receiving a report from a vendor that lists call time minutes of usage
in decimal form, i.e. 5.15. When I try to convert this figure into actual
time format using the formula, =TEXT(G36/24,"H:MM:SS"), my return is
5:09:00.
It appears this formula is returning the amount of time after midnite and
not
what I am looking for, which is the time expressed in actual hours and or
minutes used.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacqueline,

If you need it to be in text, just use your formula from your original post:

=TEXT(G36/24,"H:MM:SS")

But, if you want to use the time in caculations, simplify it like this:

=G36/24

....then format the cell with one of the time formats.

HTH,

Conan Kelly