Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date not displaying correctly

Microsoft Excel 2007

I have a column whose fields are defined as 'date'. When I type the date
into the field it will not display the correct date. Example:

I type in '9/29/08' and the field displays '1-Jan-00' instead of
'29-Sep-08'. In the formula bar it reads what i typed...'=9/29/08'

Any suggestions as to why this is happening??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you TYPE the = ?
If so, that's the problem. As a formula, =9/28/08 gets calculated as some
fractional number less than 1. 'Dates' in Excel are really just formated
numbers starting in Jan-00, so that's why you see 1/1/00 (fractional portions
become the time portion).

"Clark" wrote:

Microsoft Excel 2007

I have a column whose fields are defined as 'date'. When I type the date
into the field it will not display the correct date. Example:

I type in '9/29/08' and the field displays '1-Jan-00' instead of
'29-Sep-08'. In the formula bar it reads what i typed...'=9/29/08'

Any suggestions as to why this is happening??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's an option under the Office button|Excel Options button.

Look for one of the Lotus transition settings.

In xl2003, it's called: Transition Formula Entry

(Uncheck it)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Dave! This worked.

In xl2007 it is under Office button|Excel Options||Advanced button. Then you
scroll all the way to the bottom and the Lotus compatability settings are
there. There are two selections:

-Transition formula evaluation
-Transition formula entry

I turned them both off. (They were on.)

My next question is do I ever want these turned on since I do not use Lotus??